From October 18, 1941 until February 1945, this freight station was one of the most important deportations locations of the Jews from Berlin. A total of 35 trains carrying 17,000 Jews left from platform 17 (German: Gleis 17) directly to Auschwitz. By the end of the war, more than 50,000 Jews had been deported through this station.
Gatow Airport was built in 1935. The Luftkriegschule 2 of the Luftwaffe was located here from January 15, 1940. In May 1945, Gatow was occupied by the Red Army. Berlin was split into four sectors and in July 1945 the airport was handed over to the British Royal Air Force.