The former forced labor camp KZ-Außenlager Wernigerode (alias “Richard”) was built shortly after the start of the Second World War. In this labor camp (which was an annex of camp Buchenwald) on the Veckenstedter Strasse are four originally preserved barracks and a watchtower.
From October 18, 1941 until February 1945, this freight station was one of the most important deportations locations of the Jews from Berlin. A total of 35 trains carrying 17,000 Jews left from platform 17 (German: Gleis 17) directly to Auschwitz. By the end of the war, more than 50,000 Jews had been deported through this station.