Fort VII Poznan Poland
Fort VII, officially Konzentrationslager (Concentration camp) Posen, was a Nazi German extermination camp set up in Poznań in German-occupied Poland during World War II, located in one of the 19th century fortresses that encircle the city.
According to various estimates, between 4,500 and 20,000 people, mostly Poles from Poznań and the surrounding region, died while imprisoned in the camp.
The very first gas chamber that was used in the 2nd world war is found at this site..
After the German invasion of Poland in September 1939, Fort VII was chosen as the site of the first concentration camp in occupied Poland.
In the early stages of this camp's existence, prisoners were usually executed within one week of arrival. However, in October 1939, the first experiment with a gas chamber was conducted here by an SS chemist, Dr. August Becker, where about 400 patients and staff of Poznań psychiatric hospitals were gassed in bunker No. 17. The extermination of the mentally ill was carried out by SS-Sturmbannführer Herbert Lange, head of the Gestapo in occupied Poznań.